Thursday, October 12, 2006

Home schooling and other fun things

I'm actually really enjoying home schooling our kids! I can't compare myself with other home school experts just yet but I think I'm doing pretty good for a beginner. I gave the kids a craft project in the morning and I have bought some interesting books the last couple of days. I went to the science center gift shop today and found a few neat things to try at home and I even gave in to buying this totally stupid toy called NOISY PUTTY! It's a gunge put in a plastic container and when you put your fingers in it produces repulsive bathroom sounds! Jenna and Luca had great fun "playing" with their new toy when we had a house showing tonight!!!
I went to Germany this afternoon to buy groceries and Emilio bought some dog and cat treats for our neighbour's dog and cats. Our neighbour lady is quite something! I get the impression she is the town gossip. All I see her doing is standing outside talking to people walking by. She doens't talk to me, she interigates me! So after shopping the kids and I went over to her house to bring the treats for the animals. I let them ring the doorbell and I stood on the sidewalk while they delivered their presents. As I am standing on the sidewalk I hear her being completely rude and mad at the kids and telling them off for ringing the door bell and disturbing her nap (it was 4:45pm)!! The kids explained to her the reason for their visit and they left the treats with her to feed her cats and dog. When she noticed me she then told them that she will give it to her dog later. The funny thing is that when I ask the kids what happened all they say is that she thought it was a nice idea that they brought the treats and she will give it to her dog later. I told them that's not all that I heard her saying and asked them if she got mad at them. Then they slowly remembered "oh yeah, I guess she was kind of mad that we woke her up." It made me wonder why all they heard her saying was nice things and why all I heard was her sharp tone of voice and her rudeness? Do kids listen differently? Do they see people with other eyes? Maybe I'm too often upset with them and they tune out any of those frequencies?
Emilio was visiting the horses behind our house and was invited to come with the owner to her house and help her with the horses she had moved to a different location. Even though I don't know that lady I let him follow her (she was driving her truck and horse trailer and he was on his bike) to her house. He came home half an hour later all excited and she came over too telling him that he can help her again tomorrow morning! He has to speak french to her so it's great practice.

That's all for today and good night!

Petra


Verse of the day:

GOD is sheer mercy and grace;
not easily angered, he's rich in love.

Ps. 103

2 Comments:

Blogger Increasing... said...

Are you planning to home school for the rest of the year? Wow, homeschooling is a huge undertaking. Blessings to you and the kids as you learn together. Not sure if you plan on homeschooling for good but if you do Abecca homeschooling products are second to none (my opinion). My mother-in-law taught at a private school and they used Abecca and did those kids ever learn!! Not sure if it is printed in German though

7:45 PM  
Blogger petra said...

HI Char,
I'm nor sure how long I'm going to homeschool. I could get some help from the german goverment and some material I think. I'm going to check Abecca out as well.
For now, I'm hoping we can move soon and the kids can start school in Germany again.

5:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home